A general survey was made of species present on the grounds of the airbase Gilze-Rijen in 2006-2008; this included an inventory of bees and wasps. 60% of the grounds were closed to the public. In the remaining 40% we found 124 species of aculeates. The majority of the species was found in a small area (approx. 1 hectare) consisting of coarse sand, which had been exposed after the demolition of some buildings.